Thursday, July 12, 2012

Why I hate “party games”


Hi. My name is Lady of Carcassonne and I hate “party games”. They are not really games. There is no real strategic aspect to them. They are fluff. Not even filler games, but pure fluff. I think they are a waste of the title of game. Most of them are silly, forced interactions with people.  I am fine with people not being as into strategic and Euro games as I am, but please don’t pretend these are real games.

Examples.

Apples to Apples. I use to like this game. I never loved it. I would never offer to play it, but it did not turn me off as much as it does now. Now whenever anyone wants to play it I want to run the other way.  Unless you play with people you know well, it’s hard to “play to the person”.  I don’t get the point in just throwing something out there just to see if they like it the best (no really Helen Keller isn’t as funny as you think it is). Also this is a game people want to play FOREVER. No please stop this game after you get 10 cards or whatever it says in the rule. This game is so intellectually boring to me, I often play total random card draw unless I really know the people. Even among hardcore gamers, there is a thought of “Hey, I know you aren’t a gamer, but you’ll love Apples to Apples.” Do not fall into this trap. No. No. NO. If your friends, acquaintances, coworkers, and/or whomevers are not gamers try to start them off with Carcassonne or Settlers. Or just accept they are not gamers.

Trivial Pursuit. I consider myself a smart person, but just straight answering trivia questions is not fun for me. Yes it isn’t fun even if I know the answer.  Seriously there is not strategy here. You just answer the questions. No betting on the answers or anything. I guess that’s why I never really got into Jeopardy.  Yes this game is more intellectual. But really what is the point?!

Honestly I’d rather play Candy Land or Monopoly with a little kid than a party game. Why? I can use it as a teaching experience. That’s what the intellectual part of those games are for me. Yes the games might not be hard for a twenty something year old who loves strategic games, but I can teach the kids the importance of counting, thinking ahead, etc. If I can’t play a real strategic or Euro game, I consider teaching kids about games a better use of my time than some silly party game with a bunch of adults.

No comments:

Post a Comment