Monday, July 16, 2012

Games we love and love to hate


Everyone has their favorite game. It’s that game you just “get”. The strategy was just made for your mind. It could also be the pieces, the art, etc. clicks with you.  Or in the case of a video or phone game, maybe the app or game was really well executed in terms of design. It could even be a game you just love playing even if you do not always win.

Currently that game is Small World.  I loved Vinci and would play it. Small World is definitely more challenging and has more replayability thanks to all the expansions. I just feel like I “get” the game.  Plus it’s a little less dry than Vinci. And now, with Small World Realms (I have, but have not played yet), the game is a lot more customizable. If you are like me, your favorite game changes or evolves over time too.  I used to love Saint Petersburg. Still like it, but my love has faded. It’s also hard for me to just name one favorite game, but I try to keep it at a minimum just for the sake of time. 

There are also games you just don’t “get”. For me this game is Agricola. Yes I have played it a few times. I understand the strategies but cannot execute them at all. Usually a few plays into the game I feel as if I have already lost. I don’t want to feel that. It makes me want to cry. It is not that the game is too hard, it’s just it’s not for me. It’s like dating. Sometimes people are nice but they just are not for you. It happens. The worse is when it happens to a game that is the hot “it” game everyone loves. Gamers in general go through game phases where everyone wants to play the “it” game. It sucks when you are not a fan of the “it” game.

No comments:

Post a Comment