Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Game German


My family's first copy of Settlers of Catan was in German.  Fortunately one of my uncles knows German, so we had a personal translator for all our imported games. From that time onwards I started to pick up what I like to call Game German- German words like Spiel, StartSpieler, Spiel des Jahres or Straße. As time went on I began to pick up more and more of these words. Of course I am not [yet?] fluent in German, but I joke with my uncle that he should teach a continuing education course in Game German.  I think I at least know enough German to play Settlers entirely in German... though I might need a refresher on the Development Cards given they are a little bit more complex German for me.  Of course when I actually do need to play a German game with Germans in Germany, they will probably all speak English. Or at least that is what my sister's boyfriend reported when he went to Essen (OMG so jealous).  Maybe that's what I will do when I retire (in hopefully 30ish years), is move to Germany and play German board games all the time!      

No comments:

Post a Comment