Tuesday, August 28, 2012

All By Myself: Solo Games

Love gaming but can never find any willing victims, I mean players, to play with you? Maybe you should try solo games.

Recently I just purchased Friedemann Friese's Friday. This "solo adventure" is the first game I've played just for one player, rather than a multi-player game that has a solo option. So far I've enjoy my attempts to defeat the islsnd's hazards as well as the pirates. This game is hard. And has multiple levels for maximum play.

I have also played the solo variants of multi-player games. In the case of most - D Day Dice; At the Gates of Loyang; Agricola; and, Dinosaurs of the Lost World - the rules already had a solo variant included. In the case of Small World, I found a solo variant on Board Game Geek. Even iOS Carcassonne has a solo option, which was not part of the original game. Either way, all of these games are just as challenging as as a solo game. Though with Agricola I find it easier, but maybe because I suck at the game no matter how I play.

To me solo game play can be just as fun as if you are playing with, or against friends. Even with the rise in iOS, video and computer gaming, it is still nice to sit down and play an actual, real life game against yourself. It can actually be a great way to relax!

No comments:

Post a Comment