Sunday, August 12, 2012

Game Review: Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries

This afternoon I played Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries (TTR: NC). Full disclosure, both my BF and I have played Ticket to Ride (TTR) many times as a board and iOS game, as well as TTR Europe (TTR: E). We are also experienced gamers.

Much like the Switzerland (TTR: S) map I have played just in the iOS game, this version of TTR accommodates 2-3 players. This is what attracted me to purchase the game since I just have one gaming partner. The rules for Tunnels and Ferries are the same as TTR: E & TTR: S. Locomotive cards can be used for routes with Tunnels or Ferries, but not regular ones. The Ticket drawing is the same as TTR:S whereby returned ticket cards from your initial selection and any previous drawing actions are removed from the game.

If you know how to play any other TTR version, this will be an easy game to learn. You may have an initial minor issue with the Nordic geography , unless you know the cities in their native languages. Much like Europe, this does not detract from the game. Plus the ticket cards have little maps on them, do worse case is you find the destination cities that way.

The art and production value is of the same calibre as the other Days of Wonder and TTR games.

There is a fair amount of replayability to TTR: NC given there are 46 Destination (Ticket) Cards, but in my game we barely saw half of them.

The best part about this version of TTR verses the Original one and Europe is that the map is scaled to be more contentious with 2-3 players. (Again much like Switzerland).

Overall I would definitely play Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries again ... Especially since I ended up winning! Bonus!

No comments:

Post a Comment