Wednesday, August 8, 2012

iOS Games

As some of you may know some great Euro Games are available to play on your iPhone...and Android too, though I don't have one so I'll stick to iOS games. I am also going to only a few of my favorite iOS Euro Games since I currently have 18 (!) Apps in this category.

The first, and one of the best designed iOS games is Carcassonne. The App offered online play before Game Center, though now it uses it. The AIs are challenging and allow for solo play. There are also In-App Expansions available for purchase. The Solitaire game offers another dimension of replayablility. I would appreciate offering more expansions and even more AIs, but maybe that's because I play Carcassonne a lot. The Carcassonne is also a universal App, which is a big plus!

Another one of my favorites are the Ticket to Ride Pocket App (Original & Europe). Although it will be annoying I'll have to by a separate app if, and when, I get an iPad. Both Pocket Apps offer In-App Expansion purchases available. It's Game Center supported which means you can challenge your friends to an online game.

I recently started playing Le Havre on my phone. For a more complicated game the designers did a good job of making everything easy to find and use. I recently discovered that you can enlarge the goods you're currently holding. It also has Game Center support.

My final favorite iOS Euro game I'll mention is Ascension. Even on the iPhone it is easy to use. Game Center support and Expansions add other dimensions to playability.

In general all iOS Euro Games (and all iOS games for that matter) should have the following features:

1. Game Center Support. No other system will do since Game Center is now default on the iPhone.

2. Excellent sophisticated multi-level AIs. I don't want too easy, or too hard AIs. I want them to have multiple strategies. I also don't want to beat up on just the human players.

3. Replayablility. This can be achieved from special solitaire games, multiple variants and/ or expansions. This is key if you want me to spent more than 99 cents on your app!

4. Universal App. As someone who is considering at some point (hopefully) purchasing an iPad I don't want to have to buy another app just for the iPad.

5. True to Original Euro Game. I don't want a "dumbed-down" version of an awesome game.

iOS gaming will not replace my board gaming, but it does solve my problem of lack enough people for a regular gaming group. This is especially true for Small World... That is whenever I buy an iPad since there is only an iPad only App. Sad. I think it could be on the iPhone. They manage to do it with Tikal. So I would think Small World wouldn't be that much harder.

What's your favorite iOS Euro Game App? Looking for a gaming buddy- leave a comment with your Game Center Screen Name and I'll connect with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment